21 June, 2008

Is this outrageous or what?

I'm sorry! I hadn't planned to post twice in one day but I just read a news story from Nova Scotia- my old stomping grounds- where the provincial government is spending $230,000.00 to purchase ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles) to run a training program for kids between the ages of 6 and 15 to learn how to drive an ATV.

This has to be some kind of a joke- with spiraling fuel prices and concerns about the obesity rate amongst youth, surely there must be better things that can be done with that much money which will encourage/entrench healthy lifestyle choices.

This smacks of political lobbying to the benefit of no one but commercial interests.

Sometimes I have wondered about my choice to migrate to Oz (those times have been few and far between and I have never regretted it) but this confirms beyond all doubt, that the place I left behind is falling from a position of fondness in my memory and the place I have chosen holds so much hope.

No comments: