01 November, 2008

Trick or Treat

Hallowe'en has come and gone for another year. Our cycling group had a bit of a ghoulish get together last night for a bit of fun. Hallowe'en has never been as popular here in Oz as it is in North America but it seems to be gaining in popularity.

When we first moved here in 1995, it was a non-event but now there are parties taking place and lots of kids on the streets (of certain suburbs) trick-or-treating. Our hosts, Mark and Linda, went all out decorating there house and yard for the event. They used to live in British Columbia and as most Canadians do, celebrated Hallowe'en in a big way.

There were carved jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, skeletons, giant spiders, floating Frankensteins and some great food for all to enjoy (and a few bottles of wine). It was a great way to wind down at the end of a hectic week.

Dee and I went as pirates and for last minute costumes, we did alright. As pirates are wont to do, I had my bottle (flask) of rum to prepare me for any skirmishes that may occur- "Avast me "Hearties! Pull hard on that hawser or it'll be off with head!!" No doubloons or pieces of eight to be found and by the time we shipped out, it was nearing the witching hour.

I reckon I got to sleep just past midnight and when I woke at ten past four, I thought I would just snooze until the alarm went at four thirty. Never heard a thing did I? I woke up at a few minutes to five and headed out the door for our regular Saturday ride. Dee did the sensible thing and stayed horizontal with the dogs as company.

Tomorrow is the start of training for our annual Australia Day ride. A number of us ride to Charters Towers on a one-way trip (approx 130 km), leaving Townsville at 4:30am and usually arriving in Charters Towers around 10:00- with a couple of rehydration stops along the way. Upon arrival it's into the local swimming pool for a recovery dip and then off to watch some Gold Field Ashes cricket and have some chicken and champers.

Ride safe

Cheers
BoaB

No comments: