26 October, 2008

Put Spring in Your Step

How quickly we acclimatise. Just a few weeks back I was lamenting the cold mornings and how I couldn't wait for the warmer weather.

It arrived on cue just about the first of September and we've been pretty fortunate since then. Beautiful, clear days with temps around 29 or 30C and nights down to 21 or 22 and a lovely afternoon breeze to keep things from overheating.

Yesterday was a bit of a wake-up. The overnight temp went down to 18 and without any blanket on the bed, it felt like about 10 but we persevered =8^) and after a few minutes on the bike, all felt right.

Not much in the way of km's this week. I spent the week in Rockhampton on "Team Building" meetings and delivering training- I travel by a smallish plane and don't have the opportunity to take my bike so I walk when I can (before work, lunchtime, after work) and am generally fidgety and miserable while I'm away. My fellow employees think I'm daft for getting up at 4:30 every morning and going for a ride when I'm home and it's a routine I just can't drop at a moment's notice.

So even without the alarm set, my eyes snap open around twenty past four every morning and I can't get back to sleep so I get up, do a few exercises, eat some brekkie and watch a bit of TV news on one of the breakfast shows. It quickly reminds me why I don't watch that sort of thing when I'm home- well for one thing I'm riding at that time of the morning and so am not generally inclined to watch TV while pedalling along at 35km/hr and secondly, there is just so much cr*p about celebrities being touted as news.

So it's back home for the next little while and then Dee and I are off to Canberra for a few days in November. Dee has a national conference to attend and I'll be taking my bike and looking to hook up with a few local rides while there and then after the conference, we'll head off on some of the National Capitol's great bike routes.

A couple of our cycling friends are currently in Western Australia for a holiday break and they're following (more or less) a route Dee and I did about this time last year. They've hired a campervan and MTB's for the trip and I am waiting in anticipation to hear their reports. We had an absolutely spectacular trip last year and were just saying last night that it would be good to go back and spend a week or so in the southern part of the southwest around Denmark.

So many places to go, so many trails and roads to ride.

Cheers, Ride safe
BoaB

No comments: