20 December, 2008

The Festive Season is Upon Us

I like Christmas and the holiday season. It's that time of the year to gather family and friends around and celebrate the best the season has to offer. And the time when those people in your office who just magically appeared several months ago and have not made any conversation aside from the occasional grunt, speak to you...like their contracts are up for renewal and they better make good with everyone in the office- just in case it might influence the renewal of said contract.

Yesterday was our corporate Christmas party. Starts at 3:30, ends at 6:30- pizza, roast chicken, lots of beer, rum, bourbon........and a jukebox. The organisers hired a jukebox to provide background music I guess- nobody ever dances at one of these parties. 

But I reckon I must be getting old. I recognized most of the songs but they were all so loud you couldn't even carry on a conversation in the room. I looked outside and there were probably 15 or 20 people gathered around- either smokers or other like-minded souls who had suffered enough of the ear-numbing "entertainment". 

What ever happened to conversation? Now you have to yell at the top of your lungs just to ask the person standing next to you, "So what are you and the family doing for Christmas this year?"

45 minutes was enough. I don't care who was there to network with. My personal sanity is worth considerably more. So I came home and Dee and I had home-made pizza, a few wines and retired in front of the telly. Season's Greetings!!

And out of all the beer, wine, rum and bourbon available yesterday, I made a big switch from my usual white wine and had................................... a Coke. Thinking ahead to this morning's ride made it easy to forego the festivities and go home. And I'm much happier for it.

Cheers- ride safe
BoaB




No comments: