10 July, 2010

Back in a Groove.....

The guys over at Velominati have a compendium of rules (and a very entertaining blog as well) by which road cyclists should live. The list now extends to 78 rules, but there a select few which stand out- those being rules 1, 5 and 10.

As I have been returning to a reasonable semblance of good health (I haven't had any respiratory issues since I relocated to a different building at work about three weeks ago), I have been able to resume an early morning regime with a bit of vigor. And it is here that I am noticing Rule 10 coming into effect-

It never gets easier, you just go faster. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”4

I haven't changed my regular circuits, but I'm finding that my completion times are dropping rapidly and my average speed is moving up. I have altered my route a bit this week with the V-8 Supercars in town and the associated road closures- but I'm completing the circuits about 6-8 minutes quicker than I was for most of the last year- same number of kilometres and "no it's not any easier"- but it sure is faster. And you know what?- I'm loving it .

And speaking of the V-8's, we're off to watch the big spectacle on Sunday with our son. Went out and bought earplugs today especially for the event- we're about 4km from the track and we can hear the backfiring/compression release from here. Sounds like the army conducting live firing of artillery...

Might just be able to squeeze in a ride in the morning before we head to the track......it will make it much more bearable I'm sure.

Cheers- ride safe
BoaB

3 comments:

Groover said...

Love rule ten! :-) So are you going to introduce the ther 77 rules, too?

BoaB said...

Might be a plan Groover- or maybe just a selection of the best rules..

Bluenoser said...

I've been getting in shit with some of those rules when it come to socks and caps on other sites BoaB.

Seems the hipsters have taken over...

I'll stick to them though.

-B